Dec. 11, 1794
Formation of the Social Library at a meeting held in the home of
the Rev. Dr. Calvin Chapin, pastor of the Congregational Church
of Stepney Parish.
Jan. 5, 1795
Formation of the Free Library of Stepney Parish, probably for political
reasons, with Elisha Church as librarian.
1794-1847 The Social Library is housed in Waite Williams' store at the "Landing" approximately where the ferry slip is now. Waite Williams
succeeds Dr. Chapin as librarian.
1820 The Free Library and the Social Library combined under
the name of the Social Library.
The Union Library Society of Wethersfield, formed in April 1784
, closes because of apathy and the books are sold. Hence Rocky Hill's
claim to be the oldest continuously operating library in Connecticut.
The Rev Lebbeus B. Rockwood, Pastor of the Congregational, organizes
a new society. This merges with the Social Library to become the
Social Library Association of Rocky Hill. Mr. Rockwood is president
and librarian. From 1855-1866 the library is located in Mr. Rockwood's
home, 42 Riverview Road.
Jan. 5, 1877
The Rocky Hill Library Association is formed and merged with the
Social Association with the hope of finding a permanent home for
The library is located at the Bulkley House, the former Valley Hotel,
at the corner of Main Street and Grimes Road.
1898 The Rocky Hill Library Association votes"that the
Executive Committee be empowered to purchase land for a building
10, 1899 Voted that the committee's report on the purchase of
a building lot be accepted and that a committee of five be appointed
to submit plans for a building and to suggest ways and means as
to raising funds for the same.
Voted that a subcommittee of five ladies be appointed to raise funds.
1899 Voted that the committee be instructed to submit plans
not to exceed $2,000.
1, 1918 Nellie C. Warner is named librarian.
1924 Committee of two appointed to investigate and report on
procedure necessary to form a public library.
25, 1925 The building and books are offered to the town by the
Library Association. The offer is accepted and on September 1, 1926
the town begins to operate the library. Direct fees are no longer
1950 At a special town meeting the name of the Rocky Hill Library
is officially changed to the Cora J. Belden Library in honor of
Mrs. Belden's more than 30 years of service to the Library Board.
Hitchcock becomes librarian.
24, 1967 Dedication of the new building at 33 Church Street.
Peter Hanson becomes the librarian.
Michele Marshall becomes Library Director.
Dedication of the expanded building.
1995 Celebration of 200 years of library service in Rocky Hill.
Betsy Bray becomes Library Director.
September 2008 Mary Hogan becomes Library Director.
June 2009 Building is renovated.